Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pack Voltage Increase!

After installing the front and rear battery racks, I did some measurements and more analysis on how many Exide Orbital 34XCD batteries I would be able to fit. To my surprise, I am able to fit up to 4 more, increasing the ultimate pack voltage from 144V to 192V. Most of the HV components can handle this increase, with the exception of the DC/DC converter. This is the unit that is effectively replacing the alternator in the car as the 12v auxiliary battery charge source, for lights and other LV items in the car. My current one was rated only up to 180V, and it would have been marginal at that high end.

As it turns out, 192V is a difficult pack voltage to get a converter for! It rests between the lower voltage range (72-170V) and upper voltage range (200-400V). I did end up finding a couple of candidates though:

Belktronix 675W Wide Range Converter (50A):
http://www.belktronix.com/isodcdc.html

EV Power's 486W Wide Range Converter (36A):
http://www.ev-power.com.au/-EV-DC-DC-CONVERTER-.html

I went with the Belktronix - a bit more expensive, but higher power. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

Batteries will be here Friday!

My current back-order component list:
1) Z1k-HV motor controller with HB2
2) Manzanita Micro PFC20 battery charger
3) Belktronix DC/DC converter

No comments: