Saturday, May 3, 2008

Installing the Hall Effect Pedal Assembly (HEPA)

Mechanical accelerator pedal - GONE!

Electrical accelerator pedal - INSTALLED!

I ordered my Z1K-HV motor controller configured with the -P option, which basically sets the HB2 up to accept control input not from a pot-box (the old way), but from a Hall-effect pedal assembly (the new way). The HEPA is also manufactured by Cafe Electric. It will be more consistent and last longer than a pot-box in the long run, and I am glad I selected the option. It really is getting close to the drive-by-wire concept though!

Cafe Electric states that the HEPA may not mount well in every vehicle. This is true in the case of the cabby as well, where the bottom bolt could not go through the firewall in its current position - it would interfere with the manual steering rack mount. I crafted an aluminum extension, which worked pretty well. It's now in, and the signal cable has been routed through to the engine compartment.

Now if I only had my Zilla. Still on back-order, and it will hopefully get here within the month.

No comments: