Friday, May 23, 2008

Happy Battery Day!

My Exide Orbitals arrived today! I picked them up at a local mom-n-pop auto parts store that is about a mile from my house and distributes them (thanks Edmonds Auto Parts! You saved me mucho $$$ on shipping).

It was a hoot picking them up! At first I got some quizzical looks that implied I had somehow over-ordered for my car or boat. How could I possibly need that many batteries? The look transformed after I started explaining the intended purpose. I get that a lot these days. I think with gas prices where they are, people want to see stuff like this on the road. I get comments like "I'd like to build one too", to "how can I buy one of these things?"

You may notice from the pic that I only have 15 batteries. I planned on 16 (192V), but waffled at the last minute because I considered one rack position for the DC-DC converter. Now that I know my Belktronix unit will fit elsewhere, I plan on ordering battery #16 soon to complete the set.

No comments: