Sunday, June 29, 2008

Zilla wiring/cabling in progress

The Zilla and Hairball have been *mostly* cabled and wired up. I am trying to keep wiring tidy as I go through this process - it can get messy in a hurry. Here is a pic of the Zilla mount:


And here is a picture of the Hairball mount:


The HEPI accelerator has been wired in as well. The only things missing are the key input and start input wires from the keyswitch. Today I also put work in on the Zilla water pump mount - yes, the Zilla is water-cooled. I made a mount shelf for the mini-reservoir and electric pump - picture pending. This mount will also contain the relays for the vaccuum and water pumps, which will also be wired to the key input. Still working on the cooling plumbing for the Zilla, which is about half-done and consists of coolant tubes running in and out of the Zilla. As I understand it, you can run the Zilla without such cooling, but it is recommended for longer life of the component. At the price I paid for the Zilla, I am a BIG fan of longer life for that thing.

I fixed the sheared bolt situation on the motor as well - by removing the lower nut. Still clearance for the cable lug, so I dodged a bullet there! So the motor is officially wired in as well.

This weekend I went with a friend to the Greenwood Auto Show, which reportedly has a pretty big EV contingent, which grows every year. Surprisingly, I met and had a nice chat with John Wayland and got to see his White Zombie EV up close for the first time, along with some other cool EV conversions! Pics forthcoming.

2 comments:

PageUp said...

zilly question, but where did you get the battery terminal covers from?

Idoco said...

Rob,

Great site. Question on the HEPA pedal wiring.

Four wires are clearly marked on the hairball. Wires 2 and 5 are listed as signal ground and chassis ground respectively. I understand chassis ground. Is wire two also hooked up to chassis ground?

Thanks in advance,
Barry