Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Doin' a lot of freeway driving!

Ever since I installed some (badly needed) soundproofing around the rear battery box, I have found that freeway driving is a lot less like driving in a wind tunnel. Go figure. So today I not only drove to work using the 'modern way' (I-5 to I-405), I found Electro handled great at speeds exceeding 70 MPH.

I was so gutsy with this new confidence that I decided to push range as well. So I drove down to the Seattle EV Association meeting near the U District and back to Edmonds, on the freeway (60-70 MPH both ways) without recharging, for a total distance of around 26 miles.

Electro's e-meter reported using 47 Ah for the trip, which is pretty close to half the capacity of my 100Ah pack.

So empirical data supports my initial theoretical estimate of 50 mile range, driving aggressively (as I usually do). Driving a little less aggressively, I could push this new range to 60 or 70 miles, but then I'd have no fun. If anyone knows me, they know I like to spin the tires :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet! Let me know when you're ready to go up against the Charger... The new batteries in my Eskate worked great... rolling again!