Thursday, January 21, 2010

Building a box!

So, as you can see from the diagrams, I have a need for a battery box in the front where I had none before - the lithium batteries are considerably smaller than the original lead acid blocks, and thus require some structural support. The rear battery box will work fine, but the front only had hold-down steel frames.

So I need to build a box.

I decided on the same material as the rear battery box (1/4" ABS plastic), because it is strong, non-conductive, and easy to work with. My cut sheets of ABS arrived yesterday in the mail, and this weekend I will be chemically welding the pieces together. Pics soon.

Another thing... since each cell will be equipped with an active monitoring/balancing circuit on top that provides visual feedback in the form of red and green LEDs, I wanted to make another improvement - clear lexan lids for both battery boxes, to be able to see the cell lights easily. My lexan lids will be arriving in the next week or two.

I am itching to get that email stating my batteries have arrived!!

No comments: