Friday, October 3, 2008

Traction pack retrofit in progress: 12V to 6V

My calibration data point corroborates what I was afraid of: that my batteries don't contain enough energy for the range & speed that I want. Therefore, I am starting a process of replacing the 12V/55Ah batteries with 6V/232Ah batteries. Thankfully, things are modular and the storage areas (racks in the front, box in the back) will accommodate the 6V batteries just fine. I may need to move some items around in the front (the 6V batteries are taller).

Last night I proceeded to remove the batteries from the front racks in an hour - easy! The Belktronix DC/DC also needs to be modified as well for the new traction pack voltage range - I will be moving it from 180V (15 12V) to 96V (16 6V).

This new traction pack should give me a good deal more range - upwards to 40 miles I think.

No comments: