Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lithium order increase, and BMS change

I was a little uncomfortable shelling out ~$2K for a Elithion BMS that had very little documentation and not a lot of explanation from the company, so I started hunting around. Folks that have Thundersky LiFePO4 batteries have also gone with a much cheaper battery balancing system from EV Works in Australia, here's the link:

EV Works BMS controller

This controller costs $AUD 350, which is around $315. Coupled with the 'cell balancing modules' ($AUD 16.90 or $15.21 ea), I should have a reasonable overcharge protection system. The Zilla already protects me from over-discharge, so no worries there. Based on this change, my BMS budget shrank to ~$1000, sooooo... I increased my battery order from 45 to 53, and that still fits in my car, and my budget.

The good news here is that 53 x 3.2V = 170V traction pack. Very close to my original peppy 180V voltage, but with much less weight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.