Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tradeoff: Range vs. Performance

While I was calibrating Electro for distance driving, I noticed that the Hairball warning was much earlier than I expected. Sure, I can spin the tires, but I would like to also drive farther than 10 miles on a charge. I currently have the Hairball/Zilla configured 'wide-open', i.e. I am delivering the maximum range of current to the motor. I will be tuning this value over the next few weeks to see what the tradeoff is between range and performance. Once I have a reasonable current limit set (one that will give me an acceptable driving range I can live with), I will program valet mode for this traveling mode.

I also have not wired up a switch to the hairball for moving between hotrod and valet mode - easy enough to do though.

No comments: