Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Introductions!


Despite what many folks think, I did not decide to do an electric vehicle conversion when gas prices tipped $3.00 a gallon. I had been interested in doing an EV conversion for years (since college), but had tabled the idea due to the lack of materials and expertise in the public domain.

Then came John Wayland's White Zombie, the EV that proved EVs could be more fun and perform better than golf carts. This EV was the inspiration for me to start on my quest of converting a regular car to run on electric batteries, and be fun to drive at the same time.

I started this quest by buying a donor vehicle in September 2007. A 1989 Volkswagen Cabriolet, this car had a body in pretty good shape, but the engine, axles and bearings were nearly shot. Did I care? NO. I was going to pull the engine and supporting hardware out anyway, and could replace the other items myself. So I bought the donor vehicle for $450. Miraculously, I was able to drive (limp) home. Not on the freeway of course - I choose life.

Since I am starting this blog a ways after starting the project, the next few posts will document what has happened to date.

No comments: